11.01.2010

some mustelids, and 2 birds

Each caption refers to the photo below it.


Mink

Mink (the post-it is 2 inches square, for scale)

mink

skunk

skunk - note very warn and broken canines

skunk - note the holes above the canines. This indicates severe sinus scarring from infection. According to M. Elbroch, this is common in skunks.
Skunk

Woodcocks. The end of their beak is prehensile, to feel for critters in the mud.


Woodcocks
Woodcocks


Fisher - thanks to Justin and Estelle

Fisher, and Angelica.
These fierce weasels are known to hunt cats and other domestic animals.
fisher



You will never guess what two skulls I am cooking down right this very moment.

Go ahead.

Try.

2 comments:

Hilda said...

Don't have a clue. What did you find? Hopefully, not squirrels (I've always liked them, though also regarded them as pests--they did up my flowers! Now that they're part of my family I view them much differently).

sarah said...

badger and chickadee!